Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A little glimpse of High School

Just last night I attended my first swimming lesson. I am taking a course on learning how to teach swimming lessons to children. Last night was one of those," I can't believe I am doing this nights".
I walked into my classroom of about 40 teenagers. After sitting down and chatting with a few, I found out that I was the ONLY ONE OVER THE AGE OF 20! The cute girl sitting next to me was only 15!
We went around the room introducing ourselves. With my introduction I added that I was a mother of 3, and everyone in the room got a laugh about that.
Anyway, we heard a little about the program and then the instructors excused us to go put our swim suits on. ( I walked up to one of the instructors (she was about my age) and said, " Am I in the right place?" She laughed and told me yes. I told her I am a mother of 3...and she laughed again, expressing that she understood how silly I might be feeling.
SO, out to the pool I went. Me in my tank-kini, and all of these teenagers ready to make laps around me in the pool. Alot of the girls had goggles, swim caps, and were ready to "show their stuff". I didn't even have a towel, I had to borrow one from the instructor!
The first thing they asked us to do were 2 laps of 50 strokes back and forth...in the pool. (I asked one of the girls, "what is a 50 stroke"?) This is how silly I felt. I finally got through that excersise, but felt like I was drowning the 2nd lap around. The instructors asked us to do a few more swim laps, different strokes, and I just went along with it. BY this time I was laughing at myself A LOT! I tried to stay "up with the rest of the swim team", but found myself veering off to the L or R when I was trying to just swim straight. I also was ALWAYS the last to the side of the pool...Oh help me get through this, I thought...

At the end of the class, I decided that I am going to continue on. Even though I am twice the age of the girls and guys there, at least it will give me a good laugh (AT MYSELF)!

4 comments:

Mandy Stewart said...

So Funny

Mandy Stewart said...

I went into your settings and made it so we could all comment on your site. That is the best part... chacking to see who comments on your posts! I guess we missed that part when we set you up.
Love your story. So fun. TJ got a good laugh too. I am so proud of you for doing the class and POSTing about it too.

Graham Fam said...

Thats awesome you are going to be a swim teacher. Keep it up.

Jennie Blaser said...

Great job! I loved the story and you should keep it up!

1st year in AZ....Mar. 2007 to Dec. 2007